Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Expository Writing


At the end of the year we changed our focus from fiction writing to expository writing. We began the unit by introducing expository texts on animals and insects to our students. We charted  features of expository texts, such as headings, captions, and photographs
                   over a period of a couple of weeks. 

After being exposed to numerous types of expository texts, we then had our students select and research one animal or insect. They read every book on their animal they could find in our classroom library, school library or local library as well as read articles or stories online. They created a diorama of their animals habitat and gave an oral presentation as well of all they had learned about their animal.
 
After all they learned our students culminated their project by writing their own expository articles about their animals. I was so excited to see them make their own table of contents page as well as have bold print for headings.
My favorite was seeing their author page. I especially enjoyed how my students pointed out that they needed to list all of their previous publications just like Mo Willems does at the end of his books! 
Of course at the end we displayed all their great writing proudly for all to see.

2 comments:

  1. I am your newest follower! I am a first grade dual language teacher from Texas and am so excited to find your blog :)

    First Grade with a TwiSt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am always so happy to meet other dual language teachers. Thank you for following me.

    ReplyDelete